Seen Any Mussels Lately?
Friends of Casco Bay is looking for a few good kayakers and small boaters to help survey mussels beds. Volunteers are needed throughout the Bay and especially in the Bath, Brunswick, Harpswell and Phippsburg Areas.
The study uses maps by Maine Department of Marine Resources (DMR) that show locations of historic mussel beds.
The objectives for the 2014 Blue Mussel (Mytilus edulis) Survey in Casco Bay are to:
- determine presence or absence of Blue Mussel beds shown on the DMR maps &
- estimate the relative percent cover of existing beds as identified by the DMR.
The mussel beds are located in the intertidal area and kayaks and small boats are the ideal craft to access these areas.
If you are interested in learning more and becoming a mussel volunteer for Friends of Casco Bay, please contact Ann Thayer (207) 671-1638 or via email awthayer [at] hotmail [dot] com
Downloadable resources for project volunteers:
- Full Blue Mussel Map includes links to the smaller area maps
- Blue Mussel Survey Protocol
- Mussel Bed List 2014
- Area Maps: Area A, Area B, Area C, Area D, Area E, Area F, Area G, Area H, Area I, Area J, Area K, Area L
- Data Entry (via Survey Monkey)
Download the full map here: 2014 Full Blue Mussel Map