It’s been a few weeks since I’ve had a chance to report on the progress of the refit of our new vessel. Our target date for Phase I was February 15 when the vessel was to be transported to New England Fiberglass for Phase II of the work. We got word in mid-February that work at New England Fiberglass was delayed due to a paint supply issue, and they wouldn’t be ready for our vessel to be moved. In the meantime, while we awaited word from our transporter, Dayton Industrial Marine, there were a few projects that Yankee could work on. Initially, we asked Yankee to install a bypass oil system that would cycle oil through a filtering process on a regular interval. Originally, this filter was installed as an extra filter that Yanmar engines could accommodate, but as it turns out, this filter only functions if your original filter becomes clogged. What we were looking for was a separate system that would continually draw 5% of the oil from the main flow into a bypass filter to clean the oil and then return it back into the system. Basically, this system would continually remove any soot or foreign debris that over time can scar the engine and reduce the performance and longevity of the engine. After some debate, we finally came to agreement with the guys at Yankee to install a KLEENOIL system on our boat. This system has its own filter, designed for heavy industrial use. We are pleased with the installation and can’t wait to see how well it works. The claim is that if your system is working properly, you will reduce oil changes five-fold. For more information about the KLEENOIL system check out this link: http://www.kleenoilusa.com/index.php/applications/marine
Another finishing touch was the installation of some new steps. The original steps were a fiberglass molded box that was too narrow, and the steps were awkward. The crew at Yankee built a wonderful set of steps with three rungs, and they are twice as wide as the original steps. They can also be removed easily, so we can gain access to the forward bulkhead and front of the engine – nice job!