Hooray! It’s officially summer! We are finally getting outside—in our own backyards, on road trips, and on or near Casco Bay. We have a few easy actions you can take to protect our coastal waters while you savor summer.
- Buy fresh food from local farmers. Buying local reduces gasoline used for the transportation of goods and services.
- You’re doing even more for Casco Bay if you grow your own veggies.
- Walk or bike more places. It’s good for you and for Casco Bay.
- Check the pressure of your car tires. Cars use less gasoline when the tires are properly inflated and engines are tuned up.
- Don’t put fertilizers on your lawn. Your lawn likely doesn’t need them—and neither does the Bay. Nitrogen-laden fertilizers lead to algae blooms in our coves and nearshore waters.
- Pick up pet poop.
Want more ideas for ways to help the Bay? Check out our list of 60 suggestions: https://cascobay.org/you-can-make-a-difference-in-the-health-of-casco-bay. (This is a section of our report A Changing Casco Bay.)